Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

MUSINGS: Summer 2012

As I walked outside today to attend to a laundry list of errands, I noticed the absence of something this summer has brought in droves- humidity. It reminded me that my favorite season is just around the corner. I am always very reflective around this time of the year as September brings another new beginning for those of us who operate on a school-year calendar.

I want to take this time to reflect on what a wonderful summer it has been. Here are some of my highlights.

  1. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: In June, I had the pleasure of visiting beautiful South Carolina. The weather was gorgeous: the sky was blue and there wasn't a rain cloud in sight. We stayed in a family friend's condo right on the beach. The view was breathtaking. I read plenty of books, soaked up the sun, and spent time with my family. I'm blessed to have wonderful parents who taught me the value of vacating. Relaxation is truly the remedy for anything.

    Reading on the beach in South Carolina.


  2. Milford, Connecticut: My family used to live here many years ago, so it was fun to rediscover our old stomping grounds. We visited a few of our favorite spots over a long weekend and even drove past our old home. It was a really nice trip down memory lane. Milford will always have a place in my heart.

    Walnut Beach in Milford, Connecticut

    Me and my lovely boyfriend at Walnut Beach
     
  1. Rocky Gap Lodge and Resort: This year me, my mom, aunt, and cousin went to Rocky Gap Lodge & Resort in Cumberland, Maryland for a Girls' Weekend. There really is no better way to relax than to surround yourself with mountains not only because of the inspiring views, but also because I got no cell phone service in that area. Without the distraction of e-mail, Facebook, and texting, I was able to really turn off. It ended up being such a nice weekend relaxing with Pina Colada's, swimming, spa treatments, and chit-chat with my favorite females. 

    Rocky Gap Lodge & Resort, Cumberland, MD


  2. Steelers/Eagles Preseason Game: I was born and bred a Steelers fan, but since I moved to Philadelphia, I've had to tread lightly. The fans here are very serious about their sports. My boyfriend got us tickets to the preseason game at Lincoln Financial Field and it was an awesome experience. There were tons of Steelers fans in the crowd, so I felt right at home! Another really cool experience: being on the jumbotron! Woo! Even though the Steelers lost, I was content just to be there for the season opener. It gets me so excited for all of the football to come -- including the fantasy kind! 

    Football!!!!!


  3. Spending Time with Friends and Family: I spent a lot of time catching up with friends and family this summer. I'm guilty of not being great at keeping in touch during the school year, but I do try to put genuine effort into maintaining my relationships. Whether it was at a softball game, shopping, park visits, or out to lunch, seeing all of the people I don't get to see on a daily basis was a truly rewarding part of my summer. 

    Taking in a Camden Riversharks game with friends.
     
Summer 2012 has been one of the most relaxing summers I've had in a long time. I needed the rest and regeneration to start next school year off right. I'm going to enjoy my last complete day of being off before heading back to the grind tomorrow. I hope your summer was filled with as many wonderful memories as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment